Monday, August 5, 2013

127: The Goods

This past weekend, my mom and I went on an adventure: The World's Longest Yard Sale (corridor 127). Here are some of the goods I brought home:

1 pair of green Hush Puppies with steel shank support

I bought these shoes in hopes they would fit. I was too tired to try them on when I saw them and for $1 it was worth the risk. Small risk big reward: not only do they fit, they are perfectly worn in and adorable.














Books for making mobiles


An adorable cow
















A box of assorted glass knobs
















A metal ampersand

There were so many different shapes. I really wanted an alphabet, but settled on this guy. I've also commissioned Paul to make more. 













2 vintage pins

The woman who I bought these from was adorable. She deals exclusively in vintage/interesting jewelry.  "I feel so blessed to be doing what I love," she told me. 


















A fake watermelon

When we drove up to this sale, this watermelon was the first thing I saw. Of course, walking through all the stalls, I forgot all about it until we were getting ready to move on. 
"Wait! Where is that watermelon?"
Of course, my mom thought I was nuts. We'd just passed real watermelons... I thought it had been sold; I couldn't find it. But then, there it was, waiting for me.
"That's a watermelon," says the vendor.
"It's a facsimile of a watermelon," says me. "So how much for the fake watermelon?"
"Well, if it makes it any better, an artist painted those dots. Have you heard of Butch Anthony? He's been on American Pickers. When he saw I had a watermelon painted with dots, he said 'I can do that' and so he did."
Granted, I can't confirm the story. And I'm not that worried because I loved this watermelon with or without an artist attached. 




Skateboard deck designed by Roberto Jaras Lira

I had a great chat with the woman who sold this deck. She was so excited about this artist and I think even more excited that the decks were going to a good home (there were 2; my mom has the other). She works with Falls City Music Publishing and The Brycc House.




I bought a few other odds and ends: some mugs, a couple of pairs of earrings, and a chicken and rooster that I'll be making into bookends...

Overall, it was a good sale. I do think calling it the longest yard sale is a bit misleading. It's more like the "longest sporadic open-air antique market sprinkled with yard sales." And honestly, some of the prices felt a bit gouging - confirmed when my mom overheard that one vendor went to local thrift stores, bought things for cheap and marked the items up just for this sale.... but then there was the couple we met who helped us unload the trunk, put in the bed frame my mom bought, then reload the trunk all with smiles and conversation. So if you're looking to buy things for yourself, for your own enjoyment and not looking to flip profit, you'll have a blast and find more than you can buy.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS!! Especially your watermelon story!!

    My favorites are the crown pin and the skateboard deck. GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete